Tuesday, November 15, 2011

now what? attack of lannie and monnie!


Ok, we were chosen by a birthmother on March 23, 2002. The same day that Kevin's niece was born :). She was due to give birth a month later.

We kept in contact with Frannie with phone calls and lunch dates. We learned more and more about each other and it started growing a relationship. It was starting to be "normal".

We still hadn't done a thing for the nursery...we were chosen, but we hadn't purchased anything except this green frog stuffed animal that we purchased when we decided to adopt. That was it!

Two weeks before our birthmom gave birth, we still had nothing. Really, ask my friends Lannie and Monnie...they decided to kidnap me and take me to Babies R Us. What follows is a true story, no names have been changed to protect the kidnappers, they know who they are and I am sure they remember this as well as I do...I came out of this experience a changed woman. The gift that these two gave me that day is something I will never be able to repay. They gave me the gift of believing, believing I was going to be a mom and all I needed was an ass load of baby shit and two friends by my side.

You are probably wondering where my wonderful husband was...well, working his ass off. He was trying to get as much work done so that he could take two full weeks off from work, that was the greatest thing for us. To know that he would be there worry/stress free for two weeks was wonderful.

Back to the kidnapping. They showed up and informed me that they had decided I needed to get my ass in gear and act like we were having a baby! Off we went, no drinks, no drugs, stone sober and terrified I was dragged to the store all the while wondering what I would do with all the shit they were going to make me buy if the adoption did not happen. When we got to the store each of them grabbed a cart...yes, I said that, TWO carts. When I asked why two carts they looked at each other and laughed!!! What the what???

As we went through the store getting baby items, bottles, suction things, blankets, washcloths, you name it. Remember, we had nothing, no baby shower, no nothing, not 9 months to plan, 4 weeks. We were still keeping this close to our hearts...wishing for it to happen, but willing to give into whatever happen. Well, they "outed" me, these two amazing women told anyone within 3 feet that we were adopting a little baby girl and that I didn't have shit at home. They were stronger than me...they were fucking machines!

And, when you get those strong personalities together...they fight! They argued over almost everything...it was comical. When they couldn't decide they grabbed one of each, if I questioned they just looked at each other then me and said, "oh honey, you'll need it!". And they were right.

We filled two shopping carts that day, ordered a crib and rocking chair. I felt like it was really going to happen and was ready to put a nursery together...I also needed a drink!

When I got home, Monnie was still with me. We grabbed some coffee...she had to drive home, when the phone rang. It was the people from the Discover card wanting to know if my card had been taken, there was and "unusually LARGE charge at Babies R Us"...

"No", I said, "We are adopting a baby girl."




4 comments:

  1. Best ending to a post EVER. (sniff)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember that day as fondly as you do....one of my cherished memories for sure. I love you Mama....I miss you!

    ReplyDelete